Saturday, May 20, 2017

TOES-IN-THE-SAND DELIBERATIONS

The standards of reasoning together and responsible dialogue have sunk so low we now live in a media driven culture that seemingly cannot distinguish between an arsonist and a firefighter or differentiate an anarchist from a protester.

Chats at the workplace water cooler or neighborhood cookout are now supercharged by 24/7 agenda-driven "news" which is more often than not, poorly sourced, ridiculously exaggerated, breathlessly delivered, and bathed in extremely judgmental partisanship. Don't get me wrong. I too, have strong opinions and moral certitude; I just long for more respect and something more than sound bytes and zingers in in public discourse. 


Frankly, I miss the easygoing, but often deep "rap sessions" of my youth. I long for the feel of "all-over-the-place" banter around a dying campfire. I learned a lot in after-midnight dialogue over lousy coffee at Denny's, or "toes-in-the-sand" deliberations while slouching in foldable lawn chairs as the tide rolls in. Same issues. Same differences, same disagreement of opinions, just nicer, more human conversations. I am convinced that needed debate can be devoid of snide remarks and unfair categorization of others who may disagree. Maybe we need to take the high road and have these debates among ourselves and let others blather on without us. Sounds kind of nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment